Can You Appeal an Academic Dismissal?

Can You Appeal an Academic Dismissal?

College tuition leaves many students accumulating a lot of debt. Students work hard to achieve satisfactory grades. But sometimes, they can fall short. Unfortunately, a college can dismiss you for having a low GPA or failing a class. If you are in this situation, you may be wondering what you can do and whether you need an academic dismissal lawyer

School Dismissal for Failing a Class

Your school can dismiss you if you fail a class even if this is your first time. In some colleges, guidelines on GPAs and grades are quite strict. And not meeting such requirements can result in your dismissal from the school. 

In addition, if you have disputed the grade and were denied, your school can also dismiss you. Particularly if GPA or grades violates the school’s academic policies. Appeal decisions on grades are final and cannot be further appealed beyond what the school handbook’s procedure outlines. The handbook outlines the deadlines and the steps you can take to make an appeal. 

Moreover, it is important to keep in mind that grade or GPA requirements can apply to you even if you are given medical or special education accommodations. Thus, you must also meet the school’s requirements. 

Is an Appeal Always Possible?

Every school has its procedures and policies for appealing a dismissal. It’s important to check your handbook to determine if it’s possible to appeal your school’s decision to dismiss you. 

In addition, you need to consult an education lawyer since your academic and professional career is at stake. If your school allows an appeal, this can be your only chance to challenge the charges. So, make your appeal as best as it can be and you can only do this if you have an attorney guiding you. 

Your appeal should come in writing and includes why you have poor academic performance and the reason the school must reconsider your dismissal. Your appeal will be reviewed by an academic review board. If the decision of the board is favorable to you, then you can continue enrolment, possibly on academic probation. You may have to meet some conditions like going through advising or changing course workload. But if the board upholds the dismissal, you may not be allowed to enroll in the school for at least one semester. You should contact the Enrollment Services of the school to obtain more details and guidance. Because of the board’s decision, you may need to enroll at another college or university.